I’m just going to start off by saying many people may disagree with me about Gain’s new song ‘Fxxk U’. IT IS NOT ABOUT SEX!! Well technically it is, but not how many people are speaking about it. Yes it is sexual and the MV is too. But not in the way people are thinking. This, in no way is a normal relationship between a man and a woman who are in love. This is not a healthy relationship where they “make love.”
The lyrics and the music video portray an abusive relationship and the never ending struggles of trying to get out of it, but being unable to. Throughout the MV Gain continually refuses the man and pushes him away. But the man comforts her and reassures her. This is clearly about an abusive relationship. This will be addressed more when talking about the lyrics.
Here are some ‘top’ comments from youtube:
1. “Are all adults in this world just thinking about having sex” and “We can see from the MV. The concept is about wanting to have sex” - No, this is not what all adults think like. And this isn’t even what the song is about. Gain is refusing sex from her partner, she is saying no. He’s forcing her and this can be seen in the lyrics and MV. This, in no way, is about two adults mutually wanting sex.
2. “Didn’t get why there was suddenly blood in the bathtub” - During this scene Gain sings “This can never really end.” From my take on this, I see this as the repetition of pain(physically and mentally) in this relationship. She is in an abusive relationship and cannot escape it. This can also be seen as it being her first time. The lyrics after the ones stated above were “Fxxk U, we’re going to fast.” He did not care for her body and it resulted in a bad experience.
3. “Why kpop turn so sexual?” - This is my opinion. It is sexual and many people may not like this. But I respect what she has done. First she addressed becoming a woman in ‘Bloom’ and now she is addressing abusive relationships. She is taking chances, and I see this as a step forward in Kpop. I don’t mean that all songs should be around topics that can be controversial, but I do respect what she is doing and has accomplished. Gain is known for her sexy concepts and this is no exception. It is pretty obvious that many other groups are also doing sexy concepts this new year as well. There are phases when it comes to concepts. Sometimes sexy is the trend and then cute and then street. It just happens. It’s like how fashion trends will repeat themselves.
4. “Great video and song. Gain (actually all of BEG) are all about showing the ins and outs of relationships from a lady’s perspective and she/they do a wonderful job at it!” - I have nothing more to add to this comment.
5. “….. very trashy.” - Ummm, no. In no way is this trashy. You do not comprehend this song and MV, so this is what you end up saying. People need to stop writing comments like this. Just because you are behind a computer screen and can type whatever you like, you really need to think about what you’re saying. At least try to understand the lyrics and maybe you’d be able to understand the message behind the MV. People have said that this MV is over the top, but it should be. Abusive relationships shouldn’t be down played.
Now that I’ve addressed some of the top comments on Youtube, let’s take a look at the lyrics.